Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11th - Nine Years later


Hard to imagine what happened 9 years ago today, actually happened.  That morning I was up in the kitchen washing dishes - less than 2 miles from the Twin Towers.  I heard a plane go overhead and thought to myself "that plane is flying very low" because the sound was not normal.  Come to think of it, most plane noise isn't normal over NYC.  I thought about looking out my window, but knew I wouldn't see anything in the sky through my sliver of visibility.  So I went back to washing the dishes.  Mason was in the bathroom readying for work.  Then the phone rings and it's my sister telling me to put on the news because a plane just flew into the Trade Center.  She was driving her friend to work down on Wall Street before heading herself to New Jersey.  I thought it was a commuter plane with the pilot likely having a heart-attack. 

And then we all know how the story ends.  It is such a tranquil day here in Long Beach.  I'm happy not to have to go to work today - I am always nervous on 9/11.  Today we get to spend the beautiful day together.

My heart goes out to all those families effected by today - and the effects are now engraved into lives.  Elodie - I'm thinking of you....

 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful posting, Jennifer. Today is exactly the same type of morning as that fateful Tuesday in 2001, a crisp clear day without a cloud in the sky. May we as a nation never forget the tragedy of 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always hard to remember that day.Though we can't forgive the culprits for that thing but we should tribute to the people who have lost their lives on that day...

    ReplyDelete

Here's what I think...