Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My Little Handbags


When I lived in my NYC apartment and then moved to this Long Beach house, my mom, ever the talented lady with the sewing machine, offered to make me curtains. So off we went to Duralee Fabrics in search of the perfect design for my windows. Of course, with our different tastes, we rarely agreed, but in the end, I got cool curtains and also loaded up on some fabulous designer fabrics!

What to do with such a stash? After sewing so many baby quilts and animals, I decided to try making some fun little handbags. I always carried a big work bag (and I'm not one for actual purses), so I wanted something fun, easy, and light - something that could fit a small wallet, keys, cell phone, and lipstick. Voila - my little bags were born! For my button bags, I've used buttons hoarded away by my great-grandmother Emilia - she had some collection. I've had people buy them for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, teacher gifts, and to use as gift-wrap. What do you think??

12 comments:

  1. I think your bags are fantastic!
    Love that pink one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg. Omg. Omg.

    They look frigging AWESOME!!!

    Seriously.

    Okay. How much, so I can remember to save and come back and buy some.

    Wowza.

    Can you tell I am impressed at your mad crazy skills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them. I really like the pink and yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yipee! So glad you like these! The Pink Paisley is a favorite of mine and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy more of that fabric. Thanks for the responses gals!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Bags ~ they really are lovely & perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think they're purty.

    yes i do.

    yes i do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, Very Pretty!!

    Have a great weekend, and let me know when you receive your Beach Chairs print!!

    xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bags...great design and great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you've been busy:) I love them and the fabrics are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comment on my blog! :p
    I know I would probably regret moving to Seattle but it's nice to think about.
    I actually gave in to my sleepiness and skipped out on the coffee. I think I'll have some now lol not that it's any good now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're little handbags are amazing!! I was going to tell you which is my favorite from the pics above - but I can't pick just one!!! I've sent you a convo too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are all so great! :D I love the yellow one in the second pic. Lovely designs!

    ReplyDelete

Here's what I think...