Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Memory Quilts of Baby Clothes: Making 3!!

An old friend from college was clearing our her attic and came upon her sons old baby and toddler clothes. All those clothes that she had stored away after having three boys. We had talked years before about making quilts and she decided to send the clothes to us so we could make her three Memory Quilts - one for each son's family when the time comes. So here is what arrived - two big boxes of clothes!




We started sorting by color and fabric and weight. We planned a layout in the Crazy Quilt style and patchwork style - and she would like patchwork.


All three will incorporate different fabrics and we are grouping by colors....Here is the layout of two so far.....





I'll post pictures when we're done!

11 comments:

  1. They are wonderful. Everyone Grandma wants to give one of these to their grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! I made a picnic blanket from old shirts, pajamas etc from the boys cloths and hubby's stuff. Used some heavy backing material and put the flannel from the cloths on the top. The boys used to sit on it and remember where the pieces came from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I love them!
    I am going to save my baby clothes!!
    I can't wait to see them done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great:) I want to do this for my children soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for memory quilts! I am going to do the same with some clothes from my aunt who passed away a few years ago... my sisters idea :-)
    I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love memory quilts. I can't wait to see what they look like when they are done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are looking great! Makes me want to put one together for the kids as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been great working in all the different fabrics. I'm happy we're documenting the process this time through. AND happy for BLOGS to show it off!

    Thanks for all the great comments - The two tops are now done - third in process....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing gift...such a great idea! Thank you so much for adding the Father's Day Frosty Weekend button on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is exactly what I wanted to do with Lil Ramblers baby clothes!!

    ReplyDelete

Here's what I think...