Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Back in Long Beach after Crazy Traffic....and Other Stuff

After leaving Raleigh at 10am on Sunday with our home address all in the Garmin, we were happy to know that our ETA was 6:30pm. With a good stop to eat and stretch the legs, 7:30 would be decent. But nooooooo......3 hours into the trip the brake lights appeared. In Virginia. OK, it's still early, must be an accident. Pass through 'volume' and we start moving again , only to be crawling through Virginia....through DC....through Maryland....through NJ....across Staten Island.....and the Belt Parkway. After two, 10-minute stops, we rolled in front of our house at 10pm. The saving grace is that Ryan caught a bug and she had a fever so she slept and was quite content to remain in her carseat. I too caught a cold that was compounded by allergies so driving just made my head throb and my body ache. BUT....Duke Reunion was a blast! Met lots of my hubby's old friends and the reunion committee put on a great weekend. I'm scared to see what my 20th will be next year since my 15 was in our gym, under fluorescent lights, with folding chairs and blaring music. Duke Reunion was like going to a super nice wedding reception under a huge outdoor tent.

OK...on to the Other Stuff....


* I took Muppet Soul's advice and read "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall. It is a story of a girl who grew up in the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints, which practices polygamy and arranged marriage, was married at 14 years old to her first cousin, and eventually escaped the thumb of Warren Jeffs. WHat a crazy story and way of life. I cannot imagine what it is like to have every aspect of one's life dictated from a prophet that channels the word of God through revelations. No one can make a decision for themselves - each is told what to wear, how to do one's hair, what to read, what to learn, who to marry, to not ask questions but rather submit and 'keep sweet'. As an outsider, I found the book fascinating that people live in this country like this!

* In February I won two giveaways in the same week! Woo hoo! I rarely win anything so I was doing a little happy dance when I found out. I meant to post my appreciative THANKS, but finally took the pictures. SO hip hip hoorays go out to Two Happy Stampers for donating the adorable gift card set and Buster and Boo for donating a pair of earrings. I chose this white bead pair because I thought they would be perfect for summer:



I tried to directly link the shops to where I have the names, but don't know if it worked so here is the way I know....
Please visit these fantastic shops and show the love to these generous donors!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Two in one week! Glad you're enjoying your cards! =) Love those earrings... great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a very good book. I love "Big Love". So fascinated by the inner workings of things I don't know. I'm definitely going to get this book.

    I hope to see you at Renegade. That would be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate and Steel- I tried to take out Jon Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven", but it is out of my library, so I put in to reserve the next returned copy. I think it is also about the FLDS, but about a murder that occurred in the community. I figured I'd read that one too while the workings of the FLDS are fresh in mind. J

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for visiting :) I love the "red crab" too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your car! Nothing like a 6 or 7 hour trip turning into a 10 hr one! Yuck. Book looks like an interesting one might have to give it a shot. Congrats on your wins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad you had a good time ~ hope you are all feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Here's what I think...