Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superbowl Sunday, Completed Chenille Order and some Movies

Here we are at Superbowl Sunday!  Here at the Olive house we are football fans.  A bit sad that the season is over and we have to wait until August for the new season.  For today, I'm rooting for the Colts because my SIL is from Indy and she and my brother and their 3 kiddos, all live there.  Mr. Olive is rooting for the Saints because he thinks it would be great for the Crescent City to win the big game.  I have to agree with him, but I cannot let my little nephew down with my allegience.  Mr. Olive not only made jambalaya from scratch (crab and chicken andouille), but also bought me a Colt 45, while he'll have Abita as we watch the game - I will take a sip of my 'malt liquor' and that will likely be that. 

Today is also the annual Long Beach Polar Bear Club jump in the Ocean.  We walked up - it was way more crowded than we expected.  Last year was the run at the Guinness World Record book - but I didn't think so many would show up this year too.  Mr. Olive and I think these jumpers are crazy - but yet again, on the walk back home, I threw it out there....."Maybe we should jump in next year" and Mr. Olive agreed.....ut-oh......

I also received a request for a custom adult-size throw quilt and two matching shams.  The customer wanted cream and sage green to be the main colors, with yellow and blue accents.  I did alot more detailed work on the quilt and the shams than I originally thought, but the accent squares on the quilt and the pieced border and squares on the sham (told him I'd do a 4-rectangle front), gave it some specialties.  In addition, I did 'wavy' yellow and blue squares with 'stripe' yellow and blue borders to give it some more interest and detail. 

To round out the week, Mr. Olive and I watched a couple movies. "Gran Torino" with Clint Eastwood and "No Reservations" with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart.  Gran Torino was excellent - and I wasn't into his "Million Dollar Baby" because I'm not a fan of Hilary Swank, but ended up loving it once I watched it - so I'll now watch all his films.  No Reservations - I thought this was going to be a funny romantic comedy, but it was a tear-jerker for me.  I think I couldn't stop crying because it played on my 'mother' side, but even if I didn't have a daughter, I'd probably still cry.  That's just how I am when it comes to sentimental stories.  Hey - I used to cry watching "Little House on the Prairie".  Mr. Olive doesn't know that.  He too gave both movies the thumbs-up.

Superbowl score: 1Q Colts 3 / Saints 0........Goooooo Colts!

6 comments:

  1. Eeeek! I just got your comment, and realized I never thanked you for the beautiful fabric!!! I put pictures up in the Swap Flickr pool. *grin* It's beautiful!

    Umm...I'm a TOTAL newbie - what kind of fabric -is- it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Long Beach! I can't imagine doing the plunge though. The Chenille bed spread & shams look wonderful and the Colt 45 gave me a good chuckle! Have a great day Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. sounds like you have a great time! Congrats on the custom order. Beautiful design.

    Btw, thanks for dropping by my blog. It's great to find another fellow "bank worker" :D

    Tea Mug - You can get them online. Just google decole, red riding hood and umbrella mug. :)
    http://www.japanesegiftmarket.com/decole-littleredumbrellamugcup.aspx

    Thanks for dropping my blog :)

    God Bless
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ilena- The 'plunge' is daunting! I think the people are crazy - of course, until I got 'swept up' in it while standing on the beach. :-0

    Piggy - Thanks for the mug info!! You have a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello to my Long Beach friend from across the U.S.! Lovely photos for sure.

    I gave you an award on my blog, because your blog is always so sunny and your comments always make me smile!
    http://roses7184.squarespace.com/blog/2010/2/8/i-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I applaud all those polar bears!! Maryland's Plunge was two weeks ago just beneath the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I believe something like 2000 folks dove in and raised almost 3 million dollars!! The air temp was about 16 degrees when they started and dropped throughout the day as the snow began coming down. They had two major "plunges" and then the "super plungers" did it once an hour for 24 hours! They are crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Here's what I think...