Saturday, September 12, 2009

Memory Quilts: CLOTHES





We met a couple at the Fair Harbor Pine Walk Fair, who saw our sample Memory Quilt made from my niece's baby clothes, and asked about some wall-hangings made of her mother-in-laws clothes. She had passed away 5 years ago and they clothes were sitting in a box - no one wanted to throw them out, but also didn't know what to do with them. She felt it was fate when she happened upon the fair and browsed the vendors for 10 minutes before hopping a water taxi to Ocean Beach. When she dropped all the clothes, we went through her requests and specifications - at the fair she thought she'd like three quilts. At the drop-off, she ordered SIX!! Two weeks later, she upped it to NINE. While it is harder to coordinate adult clothes than baby clothes, the project has been fun and challenging! Here are the layout pictures of 7 - we spent days making sure the fabrics were all different and looked like a coherent piece when sewn together. By now, all the tops are sewn together and one is completed!

6 comments:

  1. 9 quilts, wow!
    the idea of those memory quilts are fabulous, can't wait to see pictures of them finished.
    I'm saving my baby's clothes... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. how neat! Theres a lady in my hometown who collects t shirts from my high school each year and makes them into a quilt and then has it auctioned away at homecoming each year, and i've always thought they were neat, but i never thought about using a deceased loved ones clothes for a quilt! this is something I might look into as my grandmas clothes have been laying around for over five years now because they don't fit anyone so nobody can wear them but nobody wants to throw them away either. what an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a wonderful idea! I think it's so neat that she found you, and that she placed such a large order. Custom work is so much fun. Congrats on the new customer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a comment you left somewhere this morning while I was saying hello to a SITS girl and I just had to come over and visit. This looks like such a sweet project! I love that you are doing this. Very nice! Nice to meet you. I came over originally because I thought your blog name was so creative and cute : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to remember a family member! I can't wait to see the finished quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Here's what I think...